Friday, January 6, 2017

The 10 Commandments Of Fashion - My New Year's Resolution

Now that 2017 is finally here I've struggled to come up with a resolution for myself that I can actually stick with. Every year it's the same: I decide I'm going to get in shape then February rolls around and all my workout gear can be found laying in the closet untouched and abandoned. Sound familiar? This year I wanted to come up with something great! Something I'm passionate about that will not only challenge me but also hopefully be an inspiration to others. Then it hit me! I'm a fashion blogger right?! I LOVE fashion and helping others to always look their best is a huge goal of mine so why not come up with a resolution that's fashion related? Having a passion for fashion is a wonderful thing, but it can also put a lot of stress on you as well. So, I have come up with 10 fashion commandments that every woman should always follow and there's no better time to start then the New Year :) 


1. Thou shall learn to love the body God gave you 
Bodies come in all shapes and sizes and we as women should learn to love what we were given. I've heard so many women say "If I looked like that person I would be fashionable, but nothing looks good on me the way I am". WRONG!! Learning to love the body God gave you is the number one step to becoming more fashionable. Once you realize that you're beautiful the way you are you can begin to learn how to dress for your body type and enhance all the awesome features that you don't think you have.

2. Thou shall not body shame yourself or others
There's nothing worse than body shaming. If you're constantly looking at yourself in the mirror every morning and saying "Oh I look terrible" or "I'm so fat" then you will start believing it and then others will start believing it. Confidence and a positive attitude are everything! Others feed off your energy so every morning make it a point to tell that person in the mirror she's beautiful and perfect the way she is. And never body shame others! We women have to stick together and lift each other up every single day. 


3. Thou shall dress for your body type
Never make the mistake of thinking that any and everything will look great on you because that is not the case. It doesn't matter how big or small you are there are certain clothes that enhance your features and others that will look terrible on you. I've made this mistake many times. Last year I bought a one piece jumpsuit that I thought was super cute until I went to wear it. I looked like a little girl trying to wear her mothers clothes. Every body is different and should be celebrated for their differences. It's why there are so many sizes and styles of clothing out there in the first place.

4. Thou shall not make assumptions based on "how it looks on the model"
This goes hand in hand with number 3. Just because it looks great on the model in the magazine or the mannequin in the store does not mean it will look good on you. Make sure you try everything on or know your measurements before you buy it. And please don't buy something just because "it's so cute". Yes it may be cute and look great on someone else but remember you want to look your best at all times so always buy clothing that enhances YOUR features not someones else's. 


5. Thou shall not get hung up on size
This one is for me! I can't count the number of times I almost cried when the size I normally wear didn't fit. It's so easy to get hung up on size when in reality all clothing is different. I have 3 different sizes in my closet right now and they all fit the same only they are different brands. Sizes tend to change over the years and vary from country to country so you may not gain a pound but you might wear a larger size in China. Remember it's not about the size of the item but how it looks on you.

6. Thou shall not look to others to define your own style
I love being a fashion blogger because I love sharing my outfits and ideas with people, but I don't want anyone to try to copy my style and be exactly like me. God made us all different and you should look to others for style inspiration not to copycat them. One of the best things you can do for yourself is learn what your style is. You can take the same shirt and make many different outfits and styles with it so make it your own. Always add your own little bit of flavor to every outfit that way it's yours and your alone. 


7. Thou shall be willing to try new things
Finding your style will only happen when you are willing to try new things. Not really sure how that new style top that everyone else is wearing will look on you...try it out!! What's the worst that will happen? Ok it may not look great on you but at least then you'll know. This is when fashion gets fun!! I love trying all the new fashion trends each year. Some end up looking amazing on me and of course I then add my own style twist to them and voila I have a new style. Don't ever get stuck in a style rut! With so many new styles coming out every season there's no excuse for it. Always be willing to try anything once...even if it's only in the dressing room. 

8. Thou shall break out of your comfort zone
This is a continuation of number 7. Everyone has a comfort zone but this year make it a point to break out of it. For me my comfort zone is the juniors section at every single store I visit. I've been shopping in the juniors department since high school and now that I'm 35 I've decided it's time for a change. I recently visited the misses section of Kohls and found some amazing items that fit great! Your comfort zone may be a certain style or store that you've stuck with for years. This year make it a point to do something different even if you don't like it. At least you can say you tried. 


9. Thou shall not be afraid to make fashion mistakes
Every fashionista has done it at least once! Remember that outfit you thought was so awesome until you saw the pictures and thought "who the heck let me out of the house looking like that"? Yeah, I've been there. But, this is all a part of trying new things and learning your style. Even the most successful fashion designer has screwed up a time or two but that's what it takes to be great. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because it will definitely happen on your fashion journey...just remember one day you'll look back and laugh. 

10. Thou shall strive to always look your best
Nothing irritates me more than going to the store and seeing someone walking around in pajamas and house slippers (Dianne this one's for you). Pajamas are made to sleep in and to wear at HOME! This year take some pride in your appearance. Even if you only throw on some jeans and a t-shirt at least you're properly dressed. When you look in the mirror and see how great you look it will help you feel great and then you will be able to spread your positive energy to others. Always strive to look your very best no matter where you're going or what you're doing.


These commandments don't seem that hard to follow do they? I plan to adhere to these everyday and hopefully you try to do so as well. Not only will they help you look great, but you will feel better about yourself as well. And really that is what fashion has always been about for me anyway. Looking great always makes you feel great and when you feel great you can spread positive energy more easily to others. This year let's make it a point to do just that. No more body shaming and being hung up on sizes. No more being stuck in a rut. Here's to breaking out of our comfort zones, making a few fashion mistakes, and finding out what our style truly is and embracing it. I hope 2017 is amazing for you and happy shopping :)

Goodbye for now...Fashionable Tigress

Let's be friends! Follow along on social media:




   

No comments:

Post a Comment